Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Gun Article: how to legally ship ammo

How You Can (Legally) Ship Ammunition



Let’s say you’ve traveled somewhere to take a rifle or a pistol course. At the end of the course you have some ammunition left over and you need to get it back home.

What are your options?

First, you can fly home with it. You are allowed to have 11 pounds of ammunition per checked bag. Whenever I fly with ammunition I simply keep it in the carton that the ammo came in when I purchased it.

Don’t forget, if you’re flying with ammunition you must declare it when you are checking the baggage. (I just say, “I need to declare a firearm and ammunition.”)
Flying with ammo in your checked luggage is a piece of cake and I’ve never had a problem doing it.

But, what if you’ve got more than 11 pounds of ammo? Or what if you don’t want to put it in your checked bag?

The second option you have is to ship the ammo via Fed-Ex or UPS. You cannot ship ammunition through the US Postal Service so don’t even try or you could get in serious trouble.

Whenever I need to ship ammo I always use UPS since there’s a facility right near my house. Shipping ammo via UPS is very easy and here’s how it works:

1. Your package must weigh 66 pounds or less

2. They will only ship it ground service

3. You must attach their special shipping label to the outside of the box. The label must be larger than the size of a credit card. (I’ve attached the label below so you can use it in the future.)

UPS Ammunition Shipping Label

4. You must take the ammunition to a shipping center, not a regular UPS store, where they’ll check your package in and get it where you need it to be.

That’s all you have to do to ship ammunition via UPS. And, from what I’ve been told, those are the same regulations for shipping ammo via Fed-Ex. (But remember, I’ve personally only shipped ammo via UPS.)

So, the next time you end up with ammo in one location and you need to ship it home, don’t worry… it’s an easier process than most people realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment